- Title Ref: *1
- First name(s)
- Position(s) held at King's College London Ref: *6
- Demonstrator of Natural Philosophy (1870-1894);
- Lecturer of Natural Sciences [1878-1881];
- Evening Class Lecturer on Mechanics [1872-1891];
- Lecturer of Advanced Physics King's College School [dates unclear];
Education & professional details
- School, college and/or university attended Ref: *5
St Peter's School York " for upwards of eight years" ; Christ Church, Oxford (1865-1869) on open scholarship, matric in Maths October1865 and BA maths & natural science in 1868; Queen's College Oxford " practical work in Chemistry" 1868/69;
- Qualifications Ref: *4
- Position(s) held (non King's College London) Ref: *7
Assistant to father at St Peter's School and as a private tutor; Natural Science master in Rossall School (1870); Whitworth Exhibitioner (1870); Tutor to Prince Imperial (killed in Zulu War of 1879); Professor of Natural Philosophy Bedford College for Ladies [until 1873? ]; (First) Principal South-West London (Chelsea) Polytechnic (1894-1904); Mathematical & Science Master Lancing College, West Sussex [1914-1918];
- Professional activities
- Fellow of the Royal Society 6th June 1889;
- Fellow of King's College London November 1894.
- Publications Ref: *8
At least 30 articles in Phil Trans Roy Soc, Proc Roy Soc, Proc Physic Soc & Philosophical Magazine (1870-1894) - a separate list of them is included with his letter to King's College London Secretary of March 17 1891 as " List of Memoirs by Herbert Tomlinson BA (Oxon), F.R.S." .
- Date of birth Ref: *2
- 18th November 1845
- Place of birth Ref: *2
- Date of death Ref: *3
- 12th June 1931
- Place of death Ref: *3
- Bexhill-on-Sea, Sussex
Extensive obituary including a photograph in 'Obituary Notices of Fellows of the Royal Society' Vol 1 No 2nd December 1933 pp89-91. (JSTOR accessed 19 Jan 2016).
- Family details Ref: *9
Son of William Tomlinson, b1811, Master of Modern Department & Mathematical Master St Peter's School York, later Headmaster, and Ann b1817; siblings: William b1842, Annie b1843, Minna b1848 & d1860, Emily/Emma b1851, Ernest b1853, Walter b1855, Caroline Maude b1860; Hugh T. b1861; married Edith Maria Ruth Saunders, b1851, on 31st March 1873 at St Luke Oseney Crescent, Camden; no children.
Obit reports that he also acted as a Head of Dept in Physics at SW London Poly at times during his incumbency as Principal; In receipt of grants from the Royal Society until 1888;
- self-styled? Census 1871 & 1881
- BMD York 1845 vol 23 p660, Baptism 29 December St Olave, York, Letter KA/IC/T50 1869, List of Fellows of Royal Society 1660-2007 at www.royalsociety.org
- BMD 1931 Battle, Sussex vol 2b, p79, National Probate Calendar 1931 p121, List of Fellows op.cit., Obituary Notices of Fellows of Royal Society Vol 1 No2 Dec 1933 pp89-91
- Letter KA/IC/T50 1869, Obituary op.cit
- Letter KA/IC/T50 1869, Obituary op.cit., Letter KA/IC/T54 1870
- King's College London Calendars 1871/72 to 1894/95 inclusive, Letters KA/IC/T84 1891, KA/IC/T79 1888; Obituary op.cit
- Letters KA/IC/T50 1869, KA/IC/T54 1870, KA/IC/T88 1894, 'Chelsea College - a history'. Chelsea College, 1977 p10, pp20-21, Obituary op.cit
- Letter enclosure KA/IC/T84 1891
- Censuses 1851-1911 inclusive, death of Minna Tomlinson BMD 1860 York vol 9d p7, Obituary op.cit.