Mariette, Charles Paul Alphonse (known as Alphonse)
- First name(s)
- Charles Paul Alphonse (known as Alphonse)
- Position(s) held at King's College London Ref: *1
- Lecturer in French (1854-1856)
- Professor of French (1856 -1885)
- Fellow and Emeritus Professor of French Literature.
Education & professional details
- Position(s) held (non King's College London) Ref: *2
- Tutor to Princes Albert Victor and George, sons of Edward VII
- Examiner in French (Grade II) Society of Arts
- French examiner University of Oxford, Eton College, Queen's College University of London, Charterhouse and St. Paul's School.
- Publications Ref: *3
- French for Children (1862)
- Half-hours of French (Williams and Norgate, 1884)
- French and English idioms and proverbs: with critical and historical notes (Hachette, 1896)
- Date of birth
- 6th June 1827
- Place of birth
- Paris, France
- Date of death
- 26th October 1906
- Place of death
- Rueil Malmaison, Paris, France
- Family details Ref: *4
Son of Francois Paulin Mariette and Eugenie Sophie Melanie Delobeau; married Adelaide Emma Cobbold (d. 1881) in 1858; children: Ernest Paul Alphonse (b. 1861), Frank Auguste (b. 1863), Sidney Brewer (b. 1865), Edgar Henry (b. 1866), Richard Lionel (b. 1869); married second wife Camille Henrietta Velentine Silbermann in 1885 .
Notes Ref: *5
- Came to England 23/1/1852.
- Prince Albert Victor, son of Edward VII, wrote in French, with translation, to his tutor Monsieur Mariette, wishing him a happy Christmas and hoping to see him soon at Sandringham, " We have enough snow to make snow balls, I am very happy doing that" , he " went out this morning, it was very cold" , ending " With best wishes from your affectionate pupil" (1876).
- Son Frank Auguste went to King's College School
- Given a leave of absence to visit family (1874-1875)
- King's College London Calendar 1886; KA/C/M11
- http://archive.org; http://www.barnesandnoble.com/