Barwell, Mildred Emily
- First name(s)
- Mildred Emily
- Position(s) held at King's College London
Lecturer of Mathematics to King's College Ladies Department, 1898-
Education & professional details
- School, college and/or university attended
- Baker Street High School Ref: * 1
- Girton College, Cambridge BA (1892-1895) Both parts of the Mathematical Tripos Part 1, Class II (1895) and Part II, Class III (1896) Ref: *2
- MA Dublin (1905) Ref: *1
- Position(s) held (non King's College London)
- Begins teaching Maths in London c.1886
- Lecturer of Mathematics to King's College Ladies Department, 1898-
- Lecturer in Mathematics, Girton COllege, Cambridge (1899)
- Maths Mistress, Dulwich College (1900-1902)
- Lecturer in Mathematics, Alexandra College, Dublin (1902-1919) Ref: *1
- Professional activities
- Elected to London Mathematical Society, 1879 (Femininity, Mathematics and Science, 1880–1914, 159), following the reading of her paper on conformal mapping in 1898. Ref: *1
"The advisability of including some instruction in the school course on the history of mathematics." The mathematical gazette 7, no. 104 (1913): 72-79.
- Date of birth
- 5 November 1873
- Place of birth
- St George Hanover Square, London
- Date of death
- 1 March 1978
- Place of death
- Bideford, Devon
- Family details
Parents were Richard Barwell, a surgeon, and Mary Diana Shuttleworth.
1.Mary RS Creese, Ladies in the Laboratory? American and British Women in Science, 1800-1900: A Survey of their Contributions to Research (Scarecrow Press, 2000), 196.
2.Claire. G. Jones, Femininity, Mathematics and Science, 1880–1914 (Springer, 2009), 159.