General Sir William Lockhart watches the wounded pass on the Arhanga. The background to this photograph is a dry desolate mountain/hill range. To the forefront/left of the photograph there are many soldiers sitting, standing. There are mules and horses with ammunition boxes on their backs.
From the Black and White war album number 3, the Tirah Campaign, snapshots by Rene Bull (Black and White Publishing Co, London, 1899).
This represents the first part of a photograph album published by Black and white Magazine, covering the Tirah Campaign in India's North West Frontier between 1897 and 1898. The Expedition photographs are illustrative of the many colonial campaigns undertaken by the British and their allies in this…
Collection Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Tirah Expedition (1897-1898)
- Asia: Asia - Southern - North West Frontier
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Subject: Boundaries & Borders
- Subject: Death & Dying
- Subject: Medicine
- Subject: Propaganda & Influence Ops
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual