Photograph depicts men of the Ghurka rifles aiming their weapons at Karuppa. One man is standing with his rifle over his shoulder.Six of the men are down on one knee, one is lying down. Beyond them are overhanging trees and shrubs.
From the Black and White war album number 3, the Tirah Campaign, snapshots by Rene Bull (Black and White Publishing Co, London, 1899).
This represents the first part of a photograph album published by Black and white Magazine, covering the Tirah Campaign in India's North West Frontier between 1897 and 1898. The Expedition photographs are illustrative of the many colonial campaigns undertaken by the British and their allies in this…
Collection Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Tirah Expedition (1897-1898)
- Asia: Asia - Southern - North West Frontier
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Subject: Boundaries & Borders
- Subject: Death & Dying
- Subject: Medicine
- Subject: Propaganda & Influence Ops
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual