Gallery: 30 imagesTirah - Photographic Journalism (Part 1)
This represents the first part of a photograph album published by Black and white Magazine, covering the Tirah Campaign in India's North West Frontier between 1897 and 1898.
The Expedition photographs are illustrative of the many colonial campaigns undertaken by the British and their allies in this dangerous frontier region and are an excellent example of photo journalism from this period. This selection includes photography of war fighting, camps, mountain terrain, war dead, the Gordon Highlanders in action, wounded soldiers and gun batteries.
Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Tirah Expedition (1897-1898)
- Asia: Asia - Southern - North West Frontier
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Subject: Boundaries & Borders
- Subject: Death & Dying
- Subject: Medicine
- Subject: Propaganda & Influence Ops
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual