Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.
Item Reference: Lt Colonel George Woods' India album/15
Album page from Woods' leave in 1893 to visit his brother in Assam and to visit Darjeeling. Photograph of Mt Kanchenjunga captioned "Kanchenjunga (28,156 ft, second highest peak in the world - Mount Everest is 29002 ft above sea level) from Darjeeling, June 1893." From a photograph album of collected photographs in the period Sep 1889-Jul 1894.
This first collection of images from Lt Colonel George Woods' India album includes photographs of landscapes, hunting, mountain ranges and domestic life from the 1890s.
Collection Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Peacetime
- Country: India
- Theme (Main): Cultures & Customs
- Theme (Main): Daily Life
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Theme (Main): Natural World
- Subject: Animals & The Natural World
- Subject: Family & Home
- Subject: Logistics
- Subject: Parades, Drills & Manoeuvres
- Subject: Sport & Recreation
- Subject: Transport
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual