Gallery: 99 imagesThe Ruins Of France (Part 6) - Deepening Conflict: Spears, E
This sixth instalment of photography from the collection of Major General Sir Edward Spears chronicles a deepening conflict: use of aerial reconnaissance, artillery in action, the bombardment of the enemy.
It also illustrates the comradeship of allies and snatched moments of laughter amid the slaughter, and the training of Spears’ erstwhile canine companion, Rex.
Interestingly, the selection includes two group photographs showing Senegalese Tirailleurs: the French raised more than 100 battalions of colonial infantry which they deployed on the Western Front, during the Dardanelles campaign and in north Africa.
Western Front, France, Somme
Related Archive catalogue
Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: World War One (1914-1918)
- Region: Europe
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): History of Photography
- Subject: Transport
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Item: Photographic (loose)
- Information: Memoir/Biography
- Information: Visual