Engine of wrecked train blown up by the Boers, June 1901. The photograph is annotated: ' fireman was killed and buried on the spot beside the line. His body was dug up later and reinterred at Kroonstad 50 miles off'.
This second part of the Volunteer series, explores the career of Granville Craig in the Second Boer War. Images include fortifications and trenches, the destruction of Boer buildings and a Boer attack on a train.
Collection Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Second Boer War (1899-1902)
- Country: South Africa
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Daily Life
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Subject: Intelligence
- Subject: Logistics
- Subject: Reconnaissance & Surveying
- Subject: Transport
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual