A train blown up by the Boers, June 1901. The photograph is annotated 'at this time nearly all trains pushed an empty truck in front of them to explode mines etc and so give the driver a chance to pull up before the train itself reached the broken rails, culverts or other obstructions.'
This second part of the Volunteer series, explores the career of Granville Craig in the Second Boer War. Images include fortifications and trenches, the destruction of Boer buildings and a Boer attack on a train.
Collection Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: Second Boer War (1899-1902)
- Country: South Africa
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Daily Life
- Theme (Main): Empire & Commonwealth
- Subject: Intelligence
- Subject: Logistics
- Subject: Reconnaissance & Surveying
- Subject: Transport
- Item: Photographic (album)
- Information: Visual