PDFA Royal Flying Corps Trainee (Part 1): Bryant, A
This collection of letters from Arthur Bryant to his parents describes his experiences as a Royal Flying Corps trainee in Shoreham in Sussex in January 1918.
Bryant describes visits to the theatre, amateur dramatics and other examples of daily life in the midst of war, along with frequent complaints that he was being denied real flying experience due to a shortage of aircraft.
Bryant (1899-1985) later became a historian responsible for popular titles including a three volume biography of Samuel Pepys.
Shoreham, Pimlico, Norfolk
Bryant, Sir Arthur (1899-1985)
aircraft, bombing, theatre, telegram, boredom, music, chess, honours, play, machine gun
Related Archive catalogue
Terms & Categories
- War/Campaign/Operation: World War One (1914-1918)
- Region: Europe
- Theme (Main): Conflict & Military Operations
- Theme (Main): Cultures & Customs
- Theme (Main): Daily Life
- Theme (Main): Training & Education
- Subject: Airplanes/Air-Forces
- Subject: Civilians & Civ-Mil Relations
- Subject: Death & Dying
- Subject: Family & Home
- Subject: Parades, Drills & Manoeuvres
- Subject: Sport & Recreation
- Subject: Transport
- Item: Manuscript Document
- Information: Correspondence