King's College London
Archive Catalogues
Home|College Archives|The Collection|ST THOMAS'S HOSPITAL: Student Nurse Records 

Download this summary catalogue (PDF) ›ST THOMAS'S HOSPITAL: Student Nurse Records

Identity statement

Reference code(s)
GB0100 KCLCA TH/SN/FP
Title
ST THOMAS'S HOSPITAL: Student Nurse Records
Date(s)
[1950-1980]
Level of description
Collection (fonds)
Extent and medium of the unit of description (quantity, bulk, or size)
120 microfilm reels

Context

Name of creator(s)

St Thomas's Hospital

Administrative / Biographical history

St Thomas's Hospital had its beginnings in the Priory of St Mary Overie, [1200], situated in Southwark. In 1212 the building was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt as St Thomas's Hospital in 1215, dedicated to St Thomas à Becket. Until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, the Hospital of St Thomas the Martyr was an independent Augustinian House devoted to the care and cure of the sick poor. In 1540 the Hospital was closed and revenues forfeited. King Edward VI restored the Hospital in 1551, which was then known as the Hospital of King Edward VI and of St Thomas the Apostle, as Thomas à Becket, who had been canonized by Pope Alexander III, had by then been decanonized. The Hospital was rebuilt again in 1693. A piece of ground was rented from St Thomas's by Thomas Guy, and in 1722 he built a new Hospital, now known as Guy's. In this manner the 'United Hospitals' of St Thomas's and Guy's came about, and the partnership existed from 1768 to 1825. The split between St Thomas's and Guy's occurred in 1825. The Nightingale School of Nursing, founded by Florence Nightingale, opened at St Thomas's Hospital in 1860. In 1919 the Nightingale School and the St John School merged, at first known as the Nursing Association of St John and St Thomas, until the two institutions rapidly integrated and identity was lost. In 1948 St Thomas's Hospital was managed by London Regional Hospital Board (Teaching), acting through a Hospital Management Committee. In 1974 St Thomas's District Health Authority (Teaching) was formed, under the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching) which in 1982 became West Lambeth District Health Authority, and from 1993 became Guy's and St Thomas's Hospital National Health Service Trust. In 1993 the Nightingale School of Nursing of St Thomas's Hospital and Guy's Hospital, and Normanby College, combined to form the Nightingale Institute. The United Medical and Dental School (UMDS) of Guy's and St Thomas's merged with King's College London in 1998, leading to the Department of Nursing Studies at King's being amalgamated with the Nightingale Institute, with a consequent name change to the Florence Nightingale Division of Nursing and Midwifery. In 1999 the Division became the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Deposited by the Division of Nursing and Midwifery of King's College London in 1997.

Content & structure

Scope and content

St Thomas's Hospital student nurse records, [1950-1980], includes detailed application forms, correspondence and training records.

System of arrangement

120 microfilm reels.

Conditions of access & use

Conditions governing access

Student and staff records are closed for 80 years from the last date on file.

Conditions governing reproduction

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.

Language/scripts of material

English

Finding aids

Index to names is available in the reading room of the College Archives.

Allied materials

Existence and location of originals

King's College London College Archives

Related units of description

King's College London Archives also holds Nurse and student nurse records of: Lewisham Hospital, [1960-1990] (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA LH/FP); King's College Hospital Nightingale Institute, 1885-1998 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA K/NI/FP & K/NI/PR); Dulwich Hospital, 1917-1967 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA DH/FP); St Francis Hospital, 1949-1956 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SFH/FP); St Giles Hospital, 1931, 1952-1954 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SGH/FP); and St Saviour's Infirmary, [1890]-1931.

Description control

Archivist's Note

Sources: online Public Record Office and Wellcome Trust's Hospital Records Database at http://hospitalrecords.pro.gov.uk. Compiled by Annabel Dodds.

Rules or conventions

National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997; ISAD(G), Second edition, 2000.

This catalogue is made available under the Open Data Commons Attribution License. This catalogue may be updated from time to time in order to reflect additional material and/or new understandings of the material.

Date(s) of descriptions

May 2000.

Search

Search within THIS catalogue for:

Detailed catalogue

W3C Semantic Web LogoPlease note:
This catalogue may contain links to external data sources as part of the W3C Semantic Web initiative.

Subjects

  • Health services
  • Hospitals
  • Medical institutions
  • Medical personnel
  • Medical profession
  • Medical sciences
  • Nursing
  • Paramedical personnel
  • Paramedical personnel training
  • People
  • People by occupation
  • Personnel
  • Social sciences
  • Social welfare
  • Surgery
  • Vocational training subjects

Corporate names

  • King's College London College Archives
  • St Thomas' Hospital, London
  • St Thomas's Hospital

Contact us about this Catalogue ›
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0279 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX