King's College London
Archive Catalogues
Home|College Archives|The Collection|CONSTANCE ROAD WORKHOUSE/INSTITUTION: Registers 

Download this summary catalogue (PDF) ›CONSTANCE ROAD WORKHOUSE/INSTITUTION: Registers

Identity statement

Reference code(s)
GB0100 KCLCA CR/R
Title
CONSTANCE ROAD WORKHOUSE/INSTITUTION: Registers
Date(s)
1896-1934
Level of description
Collection (fonds)
Extent and medium of the unit of description (quantity, bulk, or size)
9 volumes

Context

Name of creator(s)

Constance Road Workhouse/Institution

Administrative / Biographical history

The Constance Road Workhouse/Institution was founded in the Parish of St Giles in Camberwell, and existed from 1892 to 1937. In 1914 the title 'Workhouse' was changed to 'Institution'. In 1929 a Local Government Act transferred the care of Poor Law hospitals to the local County Councils, who were also given responsibility for the sick in their area. London County Council took over the parish of St Giles. The Institution became St Francis Hospital in 1937.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

King's College Hospital Library. 2nd accession, November 2012

Content & structure

Scope and content

Registers of Constance Road Workhouse/Institution, 1896-1934, consisting of 'Register of lunatics No 2', 1896; 'Register of lunatics No 3', 1896-1897; 'Register of lunatics No 5', 1897-1898; ''Register of lunatics No 18', 1910; 'Register of lunatics No 23', 1915-1916; register of 'Examination of alleged lunatics H & B', 1921-1934; 'Register of articles etc found on inmates', 1912-1922; 'Register of articles etc found on inmates', 1922-1928; register of deaths, 1929-1933.

System of arrangement

Arranged in 9 volumes as above.

Conditions of access & use

Conditions governing access

Administrative and committee papers are closed for 30 years from the last date on file, and patient case notes which could touch on the privacy of named individuals are closed for 100 years.

Conditions governing reproduction

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.

Language/scripts of material

English.

Finding aids

This summary guide and detailed catalogue

Allied materials

Existence and location of originals

King's College London College Archives

Related units of description

General administrative records, 1930-1948, finance records, 1896-1930, and admission and discharge records, 1894-1931, are held at London Metropolitan Archives.

Description control

Archivist's Note

Sources: online Public Record Office and Wellcome Trust's Hospital Records Database at http://hospitalrecords.pro.gov.uk. Compiled by Annabel Dodds.

Rules or conventions

National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997; ISAD(G), Second edition, 2000.

This catalogue is made available under the Open Data Commons Attribution License. This catalogue may be updated from time to time in order to reflect additional material and/or new understandings of the material.

Date(s) of descriptions

Jun 2000, updated 2016

Search

Search within THIS catalogue for:

Detailed catalogue

W3C Semantic Web LogoPlease note:
This catalogue may contain links to external data sources as part of the W3C Semantic Web initiative.

Subjects

  • Government
  • Poor Law administration
  • Public administration
  • Social welfare

Corporate names

  • Constance Road Institution
  • Constance Road Workhouse
  • King's College London College Archives

Places

  • Camberwell, London, England
  • Southwark, London, England

Contact us about this Catalogue ›
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0329 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX