Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1982-1983-20

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

Sketch of the Development of King's College 23 Portugal Street where it stood in the way of the Kingsway rebuilding project to Denmark Hill was prelude to their separation from the College under the Transfer Act Under another clause the delegacy assumed the direction of King's College for Women still administered as separate foundation But the fact that the women's side in Ken- sington could attract benefactions more readily than the men's side made the relationship uneasy while the increasing concentration of the former on domestic and social science-the first development of this kind in the country-seemed to widen the gap The women's college appeared to be heading for independence but unexpectedly the Haldane Commission on the University of London recommended in 1913 that the domestic science department alone should be permitted to develop in Kensington on the Campden Hill site already acquired The proposed division of function disappointed those who had looked forward to the development of great multi-faculty college for women but it was accepted and in 1915 the women's arts and science divisions moved into the old College buildings in the Strand to join the men The domestic science wing after some change of title and status -it became school of the University in 1928-was incorporated in 1953 as Queen Elizabeth College In due course other academic devel- opments within the College in the Strand-developments which were nourished in the days during the First World War when King's became sort of international clearing-house for elements striving for new Europe-moved off to adopt new autonomous existences within the University framework The School of Oriental Studies 1916 was set up to inherit Asian and African language teaching and the School of Slavonic and East European Studies 1915 became an institute of the University in 1932 With the growth of new daytime teaching interests and the development of the honours departments it was thought necessary to cut back activity in the evenings and the active if not always thriving evening department once the section of the College's work best known to the public was made over piecemeal to other claimants largely by special arrangements with Birkbeck College which has also inherited the department of psychology The merging of men's and women's teaching was recognised by statutes made under the University of London Act 1926 measure which also introduced important changes in the manner of distributing national and other funds among the member bodies of the University through its court King's College became more and more dependent on treasury finance distributed in parcels to meet quinquennial
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0562 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX