Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1970-1971-25

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

28 Sketch of the Development of King's College which also introduced important changes in the manner of distributing national and other funds among the member bodies of the University through its court While fee income strongly upheld by the multi- plication of students' public grants has continued the sum of payments by and on behalf of fee-payers has become progressively less realistic- ally related to the cost of supplying instruction and research supervision King's College has become more and more dependent on treasury finance distributed as it now is in parcels to meet quinquennial budgeting on the recommendations of the University Grants Com- mittee as interpreted by the court of London University The difficulties of access to private benefactions and endowments which have marked every stage in the history of the College and have hindered development plans on numerous occasions have become less important since the First World War One or two munificent dona- tions including sum of over Ā£47 000 from the late Viscount Hamble- den treasurer of the council and first chairman of the delegacy have helped towards special ends nation-wide public subscription on the occasion of the College centenary in 1929 made it possible for the development of the north-east block over Aldwych station to be put in hand Recently more value has been derived from ad hoc grants for special purposes of research Thus the Medical Research Council has given generous assistance in recent years enabling important pioneer work in biophysics to be developed since 1946 and most up-to-date laboratory building in Drury Lane to be provided to this end in 1963-64 Recent Developments The names of members of the College who fell in the wars of 1914-18 and 1939-45 are commemorated at the entrance to the chapel The Second World War necessitated the evacuation of the London colleges under government orders Four faculties of King's College enjoyed from 1939 the hospitality of Bristol and its University Part of the King's library was destroyed there by enemy action The faculty of medical science received hospitality from the Universities of Glasgow and Birmingham laws joined its colleagues of University College and London School of Economics at Cambridge until 1945 But the majority of the College personnel were back in 1942 and 1943 The story of the evacuation is told in the College calendar for 1946-47 The College buildings were fairly severely damaged during the war Bombs opened up to the sky some of the accommodation of the lower
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1777 s | Source:database | Platform: NX