Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1968-1969-67

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

GENERAL INFORMATION King's College was founded by Royal Charter on its present site in 1829 Until 1910 the government of the College was vested in the Council of King's College but since that date this body has continued as the Governing Body of the Theological Department only In the same year the five College faculties of Arts Engineering Laws Medi- cal Science and Natural Science were incorporated within the Uni- versity of London the College Faculty of Music was added in 1964 and the Faculty of Education in 1968 These seven faculties are con- trolled by the College Delegacy which has been appointed annually since 1910 by the Senate of the University The Principal the Dean the Secretary the Librarian and the Registrar are concerned with the activities of the whole College Each faculty is in the charge of the professor annually appointed as its dean The Theological Department is 'school' of the University of London in the University Faculty of Theology and its administrative head is the Dean of King's College The College Buildings The main building is sited at the eastern end of the Strand its archi- tect was Robert Smirke who designed it as complement to Sir Wdliam Chambers's grand conception of Somerset House It took two years to complete and the first session opened in 1831 The budding which adjoins Somerset House includes the Chapel Great Hall lecture theatres museums libraries and number of laboratories for practical work in most subjects Over the years additional property has been acquired and converted to College use in the area surrounding the main budding bounded by the Strand Surrey Street and Temple Place and other properties have been acquired in outlying areas Two academic departments Biophysics and Botany are housed outside the main College site The Department of Biophysics was opened in 1964 and is situated in Drury Lane about five minutes' walk from the Strand the budding contains modern lecture and tutorial rooms and research laboratories The Department of Botany conducts its classes at Half Moon Lane Dulwich near to Heme Hdl and North Dulwich railway stations and can be reached by bus services from the Strand future developments on this site include plans for new buddings to rehouse the Departments of Botany and Zoology Residential accommodation for students has had to be sought away 73
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1591 s | Source:database | Platform: NX