Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1964-1965-25

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

Sketch of the Development of King's College 27 floors and damage was extensive in the quadrangle Repairs and re- construction enabled better and extended premises to be constructed for the physics and engineering departments formal opening of these was undertaken by Lord Chcrwcll in 1952 Generally speaking the work of the College has been conducted within the confines of the narrow rectangle originally made over by the Crown To this have been added in recent years multiplicity of small plots of land within the quadrilateral between Surrey Street and the eastern boundary of Somerset House and it is within this perimeter that further improvements of lecturing tutorial research and common service amenities are planned to be developed with extensive building reconstruction in the coming sessions The space available is indisput- ably meagre and with view to allowing more reasonable expan- sion attempts in one quarter and another have been made from time to time to persuade the College to move as was done in the early 1920s with proposal to make over in exchange some acres in Bloomsbury near the present Senate House The theological side of the College government seeing constitutional difficulties and thinking the financial bargain was poor one decided to remain and other efforts to move King's have contrived so far only to enhance the attractions for it of its present highly eligible location and of the contiguous buildings Even so sites for hostels have been developed in Vincent Square at Clapham Common and on Denmark Hill and teaching and research accommo- dation for science has been taken in Drury Lane and at Heme Hill Limitations of space have allowed but little expansion in the enrol- ment of full-time students in fact strict quota restricts the intake of each faculty Nevertheless considerable changes have occurred in the scope and direction of College activities Nearly all these have been conditioned and in some cases their development has been tempered to fine edge by an appreciation of the space problem The law school with its present concentration on preparation for law degrees has been developing wider variety of collegiate courses for full-time students Developments in molecular physics and biophysical research have made the College unique centre of development in these fields and have provided justification for the creation of new out-stationed department directed by Professor Sir John Randall Although the school of chemistry is still cramped for space the modernisation of the undergraduate and postgraduate laboratories has opened up important possibilities The newly created sub-department of chemical engineer- ing has in the meantime passed to the faculty of engineering Medical
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1775 s | Source:database | Platform: NX