Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1957-1958-40

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

HISTORICAL SKETCH 41 of Cambridge 80 that their usual intercollegiate arrangements for teaching could be resumed The remaining Faculties returned to London from Bristol in 1943 but the intercollegiate Laws system had to be carried on in Cambridge until 1945 In London in October 1940 bomb destroyed the women's cloakrooms under the quadrangle two later ones damaged the Mechanical Engineering laboratories and put the East Refectory out of action for five years in December 1944 rocket shattered all the windows in the south front of the buildings full Report on the evacuation of the College in the war years was issued in December 1945 and is bound up with the College Calendar for 1946-47 Roll of Honour printed in the Annual Report for 1945-46 is bound up with the Calendar for 1947-48 The names of members of the College who fell in the wars of 1914 18 and 1939 are commemorated at the entrances to the College Chapel When the bomb damage was being repaired the Mechanical Engineering laboratories were considerably improved and with the co-operation of the authorities at Somerset House the vaults under the quadrangle were replaced by two floors of laboratories and private rooms for the departments of Physics and Civil and Electrical Engineering formally opened by Lord Cherwell in 1952 Courses in Psychology were carried on during the war with the help of the King's College staff at Birkbeck College and were eventually transferred there permanently so also were all evening classes in the Faculty of Arts except those for the Honours Degree in Spanish Evening Classes in Natural Science had already been transferred to Birk- beck College before 1939 The present constitution of the College though somewhat complicated may be stated in few words It is divided into two sections under separate government one containing the Faculties of Arts Laws Science Medicine and Engineering is an Incorporated College and School of the University of London under the control of Delegacy appointed by and acting with the authority of the University the other section the Theological Department is School of the Uni- versity but is governed by the Council of the College assisted by the Theological Committee The Council retains no authority over the secular side Notwithstanding this separation in government the two sections still constitute one College The Principal appointed by the Crown is Principal of the whole College the Dean elected by the Council is Dean of the whole College The Secretary and his administrative staff and the Librarian and his staff are common to both sides and are appointed by the Delegacy and the Theological Committee jointly There is full provision in the Statutes for joint meetings of the Theological Committee and the Delegacy and of the two Professorial Boards for the consideration and decision of matters in which they have common interests The Chapel the Hall and the Refectory are held for the use of the whole College and there is one students' Union Society
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0363 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX