Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1957-1958-39

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

40 GENERAL INFORMATION amounting to over £47 000 from the late Viscount Hambleden Treasurer of the Council The fund raised for Incorporation with the University amounted to £33 730 This enabled the College to be incorporated into the University without liabilities but was not sufficient to free the school from debt The College has never yet been able to build up an adequate endowment Recent Developments After the Act of 1908 the next stage in the development of relations with the University was the passing of the University of London Act in 1926 and the making of Statutes under this Act In the schedule to these Statutes which sets forth the names of the Incorporated Colleges and of the Schools of the University existing at the date of the Statutes the incorporated section of the College is described as University of London King's College including University of London King's College for Women thus formally recognizing the merging of University of London King's College for Women in the College as whole Otherwise no changes were made in the constitution of University of London King's College as an Incorporated College of the University and of the Theological Department of King's College as School of the University though important changes were made in the University itself and some changes were made in the Statutes of the two King's College governing bodies chiefly in relation to representation on the Senate The Centenary celebrations in 1929 of the granting of the Royal Charter were the occasion of the publication of The Centenary History of King's College London written for the occasion by Professor Hearnshaw in his inimitable style This brought the full story of the life of the College down to the year 1928 and it remains only to notice some of the major changes in the teaching work of the College since that date One anomaly surviving from the days before 1928 was the preliminary class of instruction for the Matriculation examination of London University This was finally discontinued in 1935 The College courses for the Diploma for Journalism which had begun in 1919 flourished until they were unavoidably discontinued with the outbreak of war in 1939 Through fear of aerial bombardment many London colleges were evacuated to the provinces and five Faculties of King's College enjoyed from 1939 onwards the hospitality of Bristol and its University They did not escape air raids and 000 books brought from the College library were destroyed by fire but in the smaller city the daily journeys to and from work were always easier The Faculty of Medical Science went for one year to the University of Glasgow and then to the nearer University of Birmingham returning to the London buildings in 1942 In 1941 the Faculty of Laws joined the corresponding Faculties of University College and the London School of Economics at the University
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0274 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX