Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1957-1958-37

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

38 GENERAL INFORMATION Professorial Boards of University of London King's College and of the Theological Department were established to advise the Delegacy and the Theological Committee respectively on academic matters and general management The appointment of Principal was transferred from the Council to the Crown and the Council was empowered to appoint Head of the Theological Department to be called the Dean of King's College The Act also made provision for the incorpora- tion of the Women's Department in the University as separate College under the title of University of London King's College for Women the transfer of the Medical School to the Corporation of King's College Hospital which thereupon became charged with the duty of maintaining and developing the school as school of advanced medical studies in connection with the Hospital and the constitution of corporation entitled King's College School Wimbledon to take over the duties of the Corporation of the College in relation to King's College School The Act further directed the Corporation of the College and the Council to use their best endeavours to provide accommodation for the Strand School and the Civil Service Department elsewhere than in the College buildings Decentralization The Act came into force as regards the Hospital and Medical School on lst September 1909 as regards the College and the Women's Department on 1st January 1910 and as regards King's College School on lst January 1911 The Council ceased to maintain the Civil Service Department in 1912 when it was transferred elsewhere to proprietary management under the name of St George's College The London County Council took over the management of the Strand School in August 1913 and erected new buildings for its accommo- dation at Elm Park Brixton Under its new constitution University of London King's College for Women was at first governed by the Delegacy of King's College but in 1913 special Delegacy of King's College for Women was instituted by the Senate The Arts and Science Departments were transferred in 1915 from Kensington to the College buildings in the Strand and again came under the direction of the Delegacy of King's College The Home Science Department was transferred to new buildings on Campden Hill Kensington in 1915 under the title of King's College for Women Household and Social Science Depart- ment In 1928 in accordance with Statutes prepared by the Uni- versity of London Commissioners acting under the University of London Act 1926 see below it was constituted as separate College under the title of King's College of Household and Social Science In 1953 it received Charter of Incorporation as Queen Elizabeth College Retrospect During the 80 years in which it was responsible for the government of the whole College the Council had often acted as pioneer and was
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0382 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX