Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1957-1958-35

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

36 GENERAL INFORMATION by grant from the City and Guilds Institute for Technical Education This department like the evening classes came to an end owing to the competition of the Polytechnics In the same year by the aid of an endowment from the same body Metallurgical School and Laboratory was opened The Education of Women In 1881-the year in which the College celebrated its jubilee-the Council first approved the establishment of Department for the Higher Education of Women to be situated in Kensington On 19th May 1882 the King's College London Act 1882 was passed annulling the Charter and the original Constitution under which the Corporation had continued to consist of the original donors and their successors The College remained incorporated under the name and title of King's College London The Act extended the objects of the College so as to include the education of women and conferred on it powers of carrying on its work in other premises within fifteen miles of the College Acting under the powers of this Act the Council purchased house in Kensington Square and transferred to it the lectures and classes for women which had been conducted by Professors and Lecturers of the College at first in the Vestry Hall Kensington and afterwards in house in Observatory Gardens Campden Hill Kensington It was opened in 1885 as the Ladies' Department in 1902 it became the Women's Department it provided courses in Arts Science and Theology In 1908 it was incorporated in the University of London under the title of University of London King's College for Women and courses in Home Science and Economics were added to the curriculum sketch of the History of King's College for Women will be found in the King's College Calendars for 1939-40 and earlier years King's College School In 1897 King's College School which had been in the Strand build- ing since its inception as the Junior Department in 1831 was removed to new buildings at Wimbledon but remained under the government of the Council until 1911 The rooms in the College which had been occupied by the School were then used by the Council for the work of the Civil Service Day Classes which had hitherto been conducted in building in Waterloo Road It was in 1900 that these classes were reorganised under the name of the Strand School The UNivERSiTi of London The University of London had been in existence since Novem- ber 28th 1836 when it was founded as an examining body for pupils from University College incorporated by Royal Charter earlier on the same day but founded in 1826 and King's College and such other Bodies for Education as might from time to time be named by the Crown During the years 1880 to 1900 King's College took part in
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.2499 s | Source:database | Platform: NX