Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1957-1958-34

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

GENERAL INFORMATION 35 with the assistance of the Carpenters' Company This Division was by arrangement with the University transferred to University College in 1913 The Engineering Society-a student society which in addition to other more obvious activities meets weekly in term time to hear papers by its members on engineering subjects arranges visits to works and so on-was founded in 1847 and is the third oldest engineering society of any kind in the country being preceded only by the Institutions of Civil and of Mechanical Engineering The primary object of the foundation of the College had not necessi- tated the inclusion of Department of Theology but one was instituted in 1846 for the preparation of graduates and other candidates for Holy Orders Early Expansion In 1850 the Council of King's College purchased the Hospital Buildings it had established in 1839 and in the following year acting under powers given by the King's College Hospital Act 1851 trans- ferred them to the Corporation of the Hospital established by that Act new Hospital was erected on the site in 1860 The Council however retained the right to appoint Medical Officers of the Hospital and thus maintained control of the Medical School This arrangement continued until 1909 The next development of the College was the formation of the Evening Classes in 1856 This was the first effort made in London to provide classes of University type for the benefit of those whose days were occupied in earning their living They were at once found to supply need and rapidly increased in numbers and in efficiency becoming one of the largest departments of the College Eventually the Polytechnics founded to provide similar education at much lower fees rendered them unnecessary The formation of Evening Classes of University character was followed by another departure less in accordance with the original purposes of the College classes were formed to prepare for the examinations for the Home Civil Service These classes were sub- sequently organized in the Strand School Oriental Languages and Literature had been taught since the opening of the College Professor Seddon was appointed in 1833 and was succeeded by Professor Duncan Forbes Chinese and Arabic were taught from 1847 and 1854 respectively but in 1861 definite Oriental Section was formed to meet the wants of candidates for the Indian Civil Service For some years it was successful but eventually the conditions of the Examination for the Indian Civil Service as they then existed led to the private tutor's obtaining the monopoly of the training In the year 1880 School of Practical Art was opened and Professorship of Practical Fine Art was founded and partly endowed
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1630 s | Source:database | Platform: NX