Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1944-1945-5

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

KING'S COLLEGE LONDON The College was founded in 1829 and the first session began on October 8th 1831 It consisted of Senior Department-General Literature and Science and Junior Department-King'sCollege School To the Senior Department was soon added the Medical Department followed by the Engineering Department in 1838 and the Theological Department in 1847 Evening Classes were established in 1856 The Jubilee of the College was celebrated by the foundation of the Women's Department in house in Kensington Square The Arts and Science section of this Department were transferred to and absorbed in the College in 1915 and at the same time the Home Science Depart- ment now known as King's College of Household and Social Science moved to new buildings on Campden Hill and there began its independent career Following the reconstitution of the University in 1900 the College developed as "School" of the University with Faculties of Arts Laws Theology Natural Science Medical Science and Engineering 1908 all the Faculties with the exception of that of Theology were incorporated in the University under the title of University of London Ring's College and under the government of Delegacy of the Senate of the University The Theological Faculty under the title of The Theological Department of King's College remained School of the University under the government of the Council of the College The Faculties of Arts Engineering Natural Science and Theology were evacuated to Bristol in 1939 and returned to the College buildings in the Strand in 1943 The Faculty of Medical Science returned in 1942 after going to Glasgow in 1939 and thence to Birmingham in 1940 The work of the Faoulty of Laws is being conducted in Cambridge where the Law teaching of University College London and of the London School of Economics is also being given 80 that the pre-war intercollegiate arrangements see 132 of the Calendar are in operation there During the session 1944-45 the classes for part-time students in the Department of Spanish will continue for the time being to be conducted at Birkbeck College The Department of Psychology has been wholly transferred to Birkbeck College as from the beginning of the session 1944r-45 Some of the courses in the sections of the Calendar relating to the various Faculties may have to be modified during the period of the war but every effort will be made to maintain complete courses for the internal degree examinations of the University of London All enquiries should state the Faculty concerned and should be addressed in the first instance to The Secretary King's College Strand London August 1944
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0320 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX