Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1931-1932-36

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

34 HISTOEY OF KING'S COLLEGE FOE WOMEN place the fact that the majority of the early students came more for purposes of culture than with view to professional career Such students have always formed noticeable element in the College The germ of College working for University Examinations was however there from the first Another marked character which has always been maintained was the variety both in type and aim of students and of subjects The College included from an early stage in addition to the ordinary Arts and some Science subjects Fine Art and Music and in Theology courses of more advanced character than are to be found elsewhere in Colleges for Women together with some instruc- tion in purely practical subjects such as First Aid and Sick Nursing In quite recent years it has continued the tradition of welcoming new departures by accepting the task of pioneering the new scheme for more scientific training of women for home life and civic work Students began working for the Oxford Honours Examinations in 1895 and at the same time Science courses were arranged in preparation for External Examination In 1897 the social life of the College was encouraged by the institution of Common Room for students and shortly after the formation of Library was begun Hall of Residence in close connection with the College was also started in 1897 In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College to students of the Women's Depart- ment and in 1900 on the re-construction of the University students began to prepare for the Internal Degrees since which date number of distinctions have been won in the University especially in the subject of English Language and Literature The Home Science Department was founded in 1908 In January 1910 the Women's Department was incorporated in the University of London as distinct College with the name of King's College for Women to be governed either by the Delegacy of the Senate for the government of King's College or by separate Committee if the Senate should so determine The government was at first by the King's College Delegacy but in March 1913 special Delegacy for King's College for Women was constituted by the Senate In the year 1911 the increasing pressure on accommodation caused by growth in number of regular students including Home Science and in amount of work led to the decision of the Delegacy approved by the Senate to take over the adjoining houses 11 and 12 Kensington Square and adapt them to the use of the College During the course of the Session 1911-12 it became evident that the Art School was no longer an essential part of the work of the College and the Delegacy decided to close it at the end of the Lent Term In the Home Science Department new era was inaugurated by the interest shown in the scheme by Her Majesty the Queen and the munificent gifts received for the endowment of Hostel to be called Queen Mary's Hostel and the building and
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0541 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX