Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1926-1927-35

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

HISTORY OF KING'S COLLEGE FOR WOMEN 33 Strand School and the Civil Service Department Pro- vision was contained in the Act that these two Departments should cease to occupy buildings in the College within two years of the appointed day The London County Council took over the management of the Strand School on August 1st 1913 and has erected its new buildings at Elm Park Brixton The Civil Service Department under the name of St George's College was trans- ferred from the College in 1912 It is hoped that by this new organization the various bodies which have gradually been created by the Council of King's College and have done much valuable work will be able to develop freely under the conditions which the better organization of education in London demands The information in this year's Calendar is confined to the first three institutions which for the present remain closely united together SKETCH OF THE HISTORY OF KINGS COLLEGE FOR WOMEN The courses of lectures and classes out of which the Women's College in Kensington Square developed were established in 1877 to meet the need of Higher Education felt by women in Kensington and the neighbourhood and the connection with King's College came about on account of the sympathy with the movement shown by the Rev Dr Barry then Principal of King's College and members of the Council The first statement of aims issued in 1878 included that of preparing the way for the foundation of College for the education of women in all those branches of learning which enter into and together make up University Education and at the Inaugural Meeting it was affirmed that the instruction should have as far as possible reference to the examinations open to women in the University of London and elsewhere The lectures given by Professors and Lecturers of King's College were attended at the outset by 500 women and the house taken in 1879 in Observatory Gardens was soon found inadequate In 1885 the house in Kensington Square was acquired and the Ladies' Department" taken over as constituent Department of King's College In 1887 Queen Alexandra then Princess of Wales graciously consented to become patroness of the Ladies' Department This gracious consent was renewed in 1901 and 1910 Amongst the chief characteristics of the early years may be noted In the first place the continued interest taken by the authorities of King's College in the foundation and maintenance of an institution for the higher education of women closely related to the College though situated at some distance from it in the second Î’
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1658 s | Source:database | Platform: NX