Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1889-1890-687

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

R Κ PORT 41 first Staff -Its two Surgeons Richard Partridge and William Fergus8QH its Physicians Dr Robert BentleyTodd and Dr George Budd Dr Arthur Farre its Physician Accoucheur its Assistant Surgeons William Bowman and John Simon its Assistant Physician William Guy and its Surgeon א Dentist John Tomes All these names are now recalled with honour throughout the medical profession and nearly all of י them are held in grateful remembrance by far wider circle Only two of them alas are still living now honoured as Sir William Bowman and Sir John Simon but the places they and their colleagues occupied have been filled by succession of living Physicians and Surgeons who have maintained un- broken the high traditions of the Hospital The generous friends to whose charitable efforts the foundation of the Hospital was due have similarly for the most part passed way such as Mr Cheere Mr Sambrooke whose portraits are preserved in the Board Room of the Hospital and Mr Wigram one of its most munificent benefactors in whose memory donation of £500 has this year been given anonymously to the Jubilee Fund But they also have been followed by succession of benefactors who have met the ever-increasing demands of charitable and medical necessities with continuous and increasing support In the course of these fifty years the most important inci- to dent in the history of the Institution was the erection of the present building which was opened in 1861 This building was as whole admirably designed and its only material defects from the point of view of modern sanitary science were remedied in 1887 by the erection of new Lavatories in the East Wing the improvement of those in the West Wing and the provision of passage enabling persons to pass between the two wings without disturbing the Western Wards At the same time an addition was made to the accommodation for the II nursing staff on the upper floor which was rendered necessary by an important change in the nursing arrangements For time previous to 1880 the nursing had been undertaken by the Sisterhood of St John18 House under the control of II the Committee of Management but in that year the Sisterhood
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0308 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX