Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1886-1887-83

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

REPORT 79 -The number of students in the Applied Sciences Department though showing slight diminution as com- pared with last year is nevertheless higher than with the exception of that year has ever been attained Since 1881 when the numbers were 53 it steadily rose until in 1885 it reached 119 and the present number is 107 The Council have reason to believe that the instruction given in the Department continues to be highly valued by the Engineering Profession and they endeavour notwithstanding the strain on their finances to provide from time to time such additions to the apparatus of the Department as may be necessary to meet the constant growth of engineering science This is peculiarly necessary in electrical apparatus and dynamo machine with gas engine of sufficient power for all experi- mental purposes have just been added to the appliances of the Wheatstone Laboratory The Council are very sorry to have to report the death of Mr Glenny who for twenty-two years filled the Chair of Geometrical Drawing and who laboured most assiduously to promote the welfare of his Department He has been succeeded by Mr Hulme who was for many years Art Master at Marlborough College -The Medical Department exhibits some recovery from its recent diminution in numbers There was an increase of 10 in the number of entries last October and the number of Students is now 215 as compared with 210 last year The Council have to record with great regret the resignation by Dr George Johnson on the ground of age after service of forty-three years of his Professorship of Clinical Medicine as well as of his office of Physician to the Hospital He was appointed Medical Tutor in 1843 Professor of Materia Medica in 1857 Assistant Physician to the Hospital in 1847 Professor of the Principles and Practice of Medicine in 1862 and Professor of Clinical Medicine in 1876 The feelings of the Council on his retirement have been recorded on their minutes in the following resolution
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0271 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX