Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1881-1882-68

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

6G ANNUAL REPORT Department or School But during the course of its existence it has continually extended its operations to meet the neces- sities and opportunities presented to it from time to time In the year 1838 second Technical School was added-the Department of Engineering and Applied Sciences probably in consequence of the great development at that time of engineering work and of the importance of the engineering profession In 1839 King's College Hospital was erected with the approval and aid of the College as necessary supplement to the Medical School In 1847 the Theological Department was founded in view of the necessity then felt for adding to the means available at that time for the educa- tion of the clergy In 1856 further development was made by opening-through the Evening Classes-teaching in almost all the subjects of the College curriculum to those engaged in professional occupation during the day In 1861 an Oriental Section of the General Department wras opened for the special education of candidates for the Civil Service of India In 1875 new Department was opened in prepara- tion for the Home Civil Service examinations Finally in the year 1880 Schools of Practical Art and Practical Fine Art as well as Metallurgical Department were added to the College It has therefore been at all times the policy of the Council to add gradually to its organisation such new developments as were from time to time required-always adhering to the essential principles on which the College was founded and including each new Department as it was created under the general government of the College till at the present time there are no less than seven distinct Departments at work in which about 550 are under regular instruction beside about 800 who belong to the subsidiary courses In the present year the Council having received memorial signed by the Principal the Deans of the various Depart- ments and 79 other members of the academical staff praying them to consider the desirableness of an extension of the work of the College to the Higher Education of Women have had this important matter under long and attentive consideration They had already authorized the
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.0283 s | Source:cache | Platform: NX