Rollover or tap image to see magnified area.

  Item Reference: KCLCAL-1874-1875-58

Please note: The digitised calendars in this site have had their contents extracted using OCR (optical character recognition) and as a result, there may be occasional errors in the text. We are working on correcting these errors, but this may take some time.

Page content

56 ANNUAL REPORT The Annual Confirmation was held by the Lord Bishop of London on March 23rd when five Students of the College and 130 boys of the School were presented by the Principal and Head Master II In passing now to the Special Events of the past year the Council have first to refer to the progress of the Special Fund for the continuation of the work of clearing the College from debt and placing it on sound financial basis which was so satisfactorily begun by the collection of Fund of £8 000 in answer to the appeal of 1871 It will be re- membered that this Second Fund originated in the offer of munificent donation of £1 000 by the Rev Wigram on condition that an additional £3 000 should be raised before the end of the year 1874 to complete this most important under- taking Of this £3 000 about £1 600 has been already raised in answer to Second Appeal put forward with the approval of the Council by the Principal and the Academical Staff and the Council earnestly hope that the remainder may be collected before the close of the present year It will be seen by the accounts presented with this Report that the financial position of the College is already greatly improved that the removal of all outstanding debt will not only make it self-supporting but enable the Council to meet the extraordinary expenses which must arise from time to time if the College is to make the necessary extensions of its educational action and machinery It is therefore an undertaking well worthy of the liberality of the members and friends of King's College and the supporters of the great principles on which it is founded The Council have pleasure in announcing that in depen- dence on Special Annual Fund contributed by Students and boys of the School the decoration oi the interior of the Chapel has been almost entirely completed under the direction of Sir Gilbert Scott An Inaugural Service was held on Nov 9th 1873 and the Sermon preached by the Rev Canon Liddon Honorary Fellow of the College Several special gifts have been received in connection with the com-
ARCHIOS™ | Total time:0.1908 s | Source:database | Platform: NX