Waterloo campaign medal The British Government awarded the Waterloo Medal to all soldiers present at the battles of Ligny, Quatre Bras and Waterloo, 16-18 June 1815.
It was the first campaign medal issued to all ranks, and to the next-of-kin of all those killed in action. The medal was also the first on which the recipient's name, rank and unit was impressed around the edge by machine.
The obverse of the medal bears the head of the Prince Regent looking left wearing a laurel wreath and the legend 'GEORGE P./REGENT'.
The reverse has the winged figure of Victory seated facing left with the word 'WELLINGTON' above, 'WATERLOO' at the base of her seat and the date 'JUNE 18 1815' below.
The medal is suspended from the ribbon by a large steel ring that passes through a clip on top of the medal. The ribbon is crimson, with blue edges.
The medal on display here is part of the Gager collection of Waterloo campaign medals in the Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives at King's College, generously deposited there by Mr Stewart Gager in 2003.
In this exhibition
- Military career
- Political Career
- Wellington and King's
- The Duel
- Acknowledgements & Related Sites